The participation of the international community is crucial for the resolution of the political and social conflict caused by the dictatorship in Venezuela, which is why the diplomatic agenda of the interim government of President Juan Guaidó continues to expose to the world the importance of the National Salvation Agreement.
“This agreement seeks to carry out actions that allow humanitarian aid to become a reality for Venezuelans, as well as the recovery of the economy, democratic guarantees and free presidential, parliamentary, regional and municipal elections. And also, we are aware that to reach this agreement the support of free countries is required, that’s why we took this proposal to the working table that we have with the European Union in Costa Rica,” informed the Venezuelan Ambassador, María Faria.
Ms. Faria participated in a working session with the EU ambassador to Costa Rica, María Antonia Calvo, whose primary objective was to search for points of agreement and to strengthen a joint agenda on issues such as human rights and the migratory situation of Venezuelans in this Central American country.
In addition to detailing the political and humanitarian situation in Venezuela, Ambassador Faría raised the dramatic reality of the persecution of opposition leaders and presented the latest report from the NGO ‘Foro Penal’, where they report the existence of 264 political prisoners, 129 adult civilians, one adolescent, and 134 military held mainly in the Ramo Verde military prison.
“We emphasize the illegality that envelops these detentions where only 15% have been convicted, the remaining 85% have not been found responsible for any crime and additionally, 53% of those who have not been convicted, have been detained more than two years without trial. Clearly, a cruel and systematic mechanism of repression against those who oppose the ideology of the regime,” said the diplomatic representative.
She recalled that the actions of the Interim Government and the legitimate National Assembly continue to promote the commitment to redouble the efforts necessary to motivate the Venezuelan people to be part of this episode of the struggle, which will lead to the solution of the serious crisis through a national agreement and free presidential and parliamentary elections.