The Government of Colombia ratified this Tuesday its support and recognition to the president in charge of the Republic, Juan Guaidó, and the legitimate National Assembly of Venezuela after installing its 2021-2022 period of constitutional continuity.
The Colombian Foreign Ministry rejected the attempt by Nicolás Maduro’s dictatorship to install fraudulently elected members to an illegitimate National Assembly.
The document also reiterates its call to the international community to condemn the impositions and abuses of the dictatorship and to support the efforts of Venezuelans to restore the rule of law and respect for their freedoms.
Follows the full statement:
Faced with the attempt of Nicolás Maduro’s regime to install fraudulently elected members to a “National Assembly”, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Colombia states the following:
1. Colombia does not recognize the legitimacy or legality of the fraudulent elections of December 6th, 2020, in consideration of the undemocratic and irregular manner in which they were carried out. Therefore, it does not recognize those who were illegitimately favored to integrate a collegiate body made up without the minimum guarantees of impartiality, freedom, equal opportunities and justice. The election in these conditions and the collegiate body resulting from them is a clear expression of the existence of a spurious regime, lacking in transparency and representativeness.
2. Colombia ratifies its decision to continue recognizing the mandate of the legitimate National Assembly of Venezuela, elected in December 2015, as well as the interim President Juan Guaidó.
3. In accordance with the provisions of the Political Constitution of Venezuela, Colombia recognizes the existence of the Delegate Commission of the National Assembly, headed by its President, Juan Guiadó.
4. Colombia reiterates its call to the international community, including all countries committed to democracy and Human Rights, to condemn the impositions and abuses of the dictatorship and to support the efforts of Venezuelans to restore the rule of law and the respect for their freedoms.
5. Colombia reaffirms that the solution to the multidimensional crisis of which Venezuelan citizens are victims and that impacts the region will only be possible through the convening of free, fair, and credible presidential elections, with guarantees of participation for all political forces, and under objective international observation.