1. The Legitimate Government of Venezuela reaffirms that Congressman Juan Requesens should not have spent one minute kidnapped. We demand the full freedom of the deputy, together with that of all the deputies and civil and military political prisoners in the country. We share with the Requesens family the uneasy feeling of knowing that, although he is still not free, he is now at home.
2. For more than two years, he was kidnapped by the forces of the regime and suffered a farce of a judicial process that demonstrated all the excesses that the dictatorship is capable of doing against those who oppose it. He was harassed and shown in deplorable conditions in the media. He was drugged to force false declarations. His family was denied the right to visit him for long periods of time, and he was denied and violated all due process.
3. Today we recognize his temperance and earnestness along with that of his admirable family and we remember that the measure of ‘house for prison’ is neither fair nor sufficient. Juan Requesens should be fully free together with all the political and military prisoners who today see their lives at risk in a context as delicate as that of the COVID-19 pandemic.
4. We warn the international community of a common practice of the dictatorship: “the revolving door,” through which they release a certain number of hostages in order to later capture other political leaders. The dictatorship needs and uses hostages, being a common practice among guerrilla groups, drug traffickers and terrorists which evidences its criminal nature. We will always accompany the feelings of the political prisoners and their families, while denouncing and warning about the dictatorship’s perverse system.
5. We ratify that the only solution to put an end to such cruel situations as those suffered by the 386 political prisoners who today remain in the prisons of the regime, is the demise of the dictatorship and the holding of fair, free and verifiable presidential and parliamentary elections. We advocate for the immediate full freedom of all political prisoners, both civilian and military.
COMUNICADO | Gobierno Legítimo ante la “casa por cárcel” para el diputado Juan Requesens. pic.twitter.com/A5GypYAR8K
— Centro de Comunicación Nacional (@Presidencia_VE) August 28, 2020