Since our beginnings, the fight against Nicolas Maduro’s dictatorship has had as its fundamental aim the holding of truly free and fair elections, in which each citizen has the right to express the destiny he or she wants for our nation.
In Maduro’s Venezuela there are no elections: there are farces and manipulations, bureaucratic processes led by openly biased referees, no free media, no freedom of choice for the people and no real opponents.
The democratic forces believe deeply in free elections, we believe in real voting, not in symbolic acts, nor in simulations of participation.
Voting should be an act of election, useful for Venezuelans and an opportunity to transform our reality.
That is why, in the face of the unconstitutional appointment of the alleged electoral arbiter at the service of the dictatorship, the kidnapping and criminalization of political parties, and the set of constitutional violations that have been taking shape against the right to choose, the democratic forces of Venezuela communicate to the world the minimum and fundamental conditions for which we fight to be able to have and participate in truly free, fair and verifiable elections.
I. We demand FREE elections:
1) Restoration of the right to vote for all Venezuelans, including those who have had to emigrate and those who have reached the status of voters (reliable and audited Electoral Registry).
2) Guarantee that the vote is exercised freely, without coercion or intimidation. Prohibit the migration of voters from their natural polling stations.
3) Cessation of disqualifications, prosecution and imprisonment of political leaders and full restoration of their rights to political participation.
4) Full participation of all political parties. Restoration of their natural leadership and the use of their symbols, colors and property.
II. We demand FAIR elections:
5) Independent CNE, whose members must be nominated by the Electoral Nominations Committee and appointed by the National Assembly, as indicated by the National Constitution and the Law. Designation of all subordinate bodies in an independent manner, as well as the Electoral Boards and table members. Respect for the functions of election witnesses and other officials in all processes.
6) An electoral timetable that guarantees the right to vote and the lapses for each one of the activities of the process from the moment it is called.
7) Equitable electoral campaign, with equal access to the public and private media. Prohibition of networks hoarding by one party. Equitable access to public spaces and guarantee of free transit throughout the national territory. Strict supervision and punishment of the use of public goods and money in favor of candidates or parties.
8) Adequate behavior of the Plan República, respecting that the electoral process is essentially a civil act. Prohibition of any intervention outside the protection of the act of voting.
III. We demand VERIFIABLE elections:
9) Audits of all the processes of the electoral system. Audited review of the new machines and the system for the automated process.
10) Qualified national and international electoral observation in all stages of the process and in the various phases of the electoral cycle. Qualified electoral accompaniment in each electoral process.
This list of conditions has been widely discussed and approved by the main democratic political forces in the country. Any wrongful act that does not comply with these basic conditions can only be considered as an electoral fraud whose only objective is the kidnapping of institutions and seeking to legitimize a deceitful system, and therefore will not be validated in any way by Venezuelans or the world. In the meantime, our struggle will continue to be that of forming a National Emergency Government that will immediately address the severe crisis suffered by our people and guide the country towards these free elections.
We call on all parties and leaders of the free world to help us in our struggle, and not to accept anything less than what they would be willing to accept for their own people.
Venezuela demands free, fair and verifiable elections.
Fuerzas democráticas de Venezuela comunican al mundo las condiciones que deben existir para que hayan elecciones libres, justas y verificables. pic.twitter.com/1upuT5kmTS
— Centro de Comunicación Nacional (@Presidencia_VE) June 29, 2020